December 11, 2008

Big Push 2009 - Free Software Foundation Appeal

About 6 years ago, I spent a good chunk of time as a webmaster for the GNU Project and the Free Software Foundation. Volunteering for the FSF and GNU was one way to express my ideals and somehow give back to the community. This is also what prompts me to release most of my own software under the GPL. The ethics and technical merits of Free Software have appealed to me since I was first introduced to the concept about a decade ago.

Here is the latest newsletter from the FSF regarding their current campaigns. It is a great summary of what is going on in the world of Free Software right now:

The Big Push 2009 -- Free Software Foundation Appeal

"As advocates for free software, we can challenge the status quo and so-called convenience of using the invasive tools of proprietary software companies, because the opportunities for change have never been better."

-Peter Brown
Executive Director, Free Software Foundation

No comments: